Saturday, November 6, 2010

Golden Arches

I creep down the stairs as quietly as possible, my parents know I go out most nights but I never get in trouble and it’s easiest for all of us if I keep pretending to sneak out and they keep pretending not to notice. Tiptoeing down the corridor and into the garage I pause to pat our elderly dog Sammy goodbye for the night, he too is used to this routine. Reaching my car I wrench open the door of my blue Honda jazz and climb into the small cabin, two minutes later I’m en route to the only place open all night on a Wednesday, the McDonalds half an hour away, with the Fine Young Cannibals blaring from the CD player. She drives me crazy and I can’t help myself...I love this song, and with no memories attached, this album is ideal for calming my mind tonight. Before I know it I’m pulling into the carpark, the golden arches glowing above me, one constant in this crazy world. The sliding glass doors part before me, almost as if they’ve been waiting for me alone, I slide into a booth and start pulling out my textbooks and University applications, might as well try and get something done even if it seems pointless. I wander to the counter and order a large frozen coke from the sullen looking guy about my age, if I want to hang out here all night I have to at least appear like I’m here for the food and drink- although I’ve never known the staff to try and kick anyone out, one in the morning isn’t exactly rush hour for fast food.
I don’t know exactly when I started not sleeping, it seemed as if bad things only happened to Ally when I was away- maybe because it all seemed compounded the next morning, I don’t know. I used to sneak to the hospital to see her all the time, it made her laugh, and I didn’t missing my sleep- without her at school there was nothing to keep me awake during classes anyway, I could catch up then. It’s a habit I can’t break, so most nights I can be found in the McDonalds, or patrolling the streets- although without a job it’s hard keeping up with the petrol bill for that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment